Charity Insurance | Social Enterprises | Voluntary Organisations | Community Groups

Typical Risks

  • Charity minibus insurance on an any driver basis can be arranged for over 25s.  Younger drivers can sometimes be covered on this basis although may need to be named drivers.
  • Charity minibus fleet insurance is available for organisations with three or more vehicles.
  • Optional breakdown cover

Charity Minibus Insurance

Charities who transport service users around in their own minibus or a fleet of such vehicles will know that good Charity Minibus Insurance is essential.

We can organise insurance for your charity minibus either as a single vehicle or as part of a fleet of vehicles.  Fleet policies can be arranged also on an ‘any driver’ basis, usually where all of the drivers will be over 25.  Other terms and conditions can apply to this cover too.  If you are organising charity minibus cover and need younger drivers to use your vehicles, this can be arranged either on a ‘named driver basis’ if an ‘any driver’ policy is not available.

Ladbrook are entirely independent and can approach a number of charity minibus insurance providers on behalf of your organisation.


Tim Larden

Managing Director

We organise charity minibus insurance for a range of organisations including those with specially modified vehicles for their service users.

Tim Larden, Managing Director

Customer Reviews

As a small charity, excellent service is very important to us when choosing the right insurance policy for our organisation. Ladbrook Insurance have always been very helpful when guiding us with regard to the best insurance policy.  We have used them as our broker now for three years and will continue to do so.  Their staff always give us the best of attention at all times.

Chloe Palmer, Director, Trent Rivers Trust

After several disappointing experiences with other brokers I found Ladbrook Insurance to be a breath of fresh air! Any queries I have had regarding my policy have been answered quickly and without any hassle.  The customer service is excellent. They have an extensive knowledge of their insurers and found me an excellent policy.  Thank you!

Samantha, Pass on Preloved Items

First class service from an agent who went above and beyond to source the perfect insurance for our charity, FASD Aware Northern Ireland.  Nothing was to much bother and someone was always on hand to answer any questions.  Thank you so much for all your help and for your kind and friendly service

Alison McNamara, FASD Aware NI

Charity Minibus Insurance

Minibus transportation is the lifeblood of many charities’ day-to-day operations. Ensuring that those who use this service are adequately covered should the rare event you are involved in a collision or accident means the need for Charity Minibus Insurance is paramount.

There are a number of specialist providers who offer discounted rates on charity minibus insurance where drivers hold Section 19 or Section 22 permits. This can be an attractive to charities in reducing the on-going service cost of a minibus – this also avoids the need of staff and volunteers to apply for a PSV licence and time involved in tests one must complete to obtain such documentation. Ladbrook can search out policies where such discounts are available to charities and other non-for-profit organisations.

In addition to the third-party and comprehensive cover policies, you can choose from a range of add-ons to enhance the policy features including:

  • Legal expenses cover;
  • Breakdown cover;
  • Multiple driver cover;

As an independent broker specialising in the needs of the charity sector, speak to one of the expert team at Ladbrook to ensure you have considered all eventualities when taking out the right level of minibus insurance.

If you need any further information on obtaining a Section 19 or 22 permit then refer to VOSA’s dedicated web link, which can be found here.

As a guide, any minibus driver wanting to use their Full UK licence, must be over 21, have held a full UK licence for two years, meet certain medical standards, the vehicle is no more than 3.5 tonnes (or 4.25 tonnes including adaptions for disability equipment such as a ramp).  You must also be driving on a voluntary basis for social purposes and not for a commercial body.

The following guide for Charities Using Vehicles in Their Activities might be a useful read, although it largely applies to cars and small vans.

If you have a number of vehicles to insure, consider our Charity Fleet Insurance services.